Sometimes we get an unexpected gift. It is the case with the fish in the picture. When I crossed my panda moor (telescope eyes) with panda oranda, I got this piece! It has a plain head, without headgrowth nor telescope eyes. And it has a little hump! So this piece is best categorized as panda ryukin, though it has no ryukin bloodline so far. Yes, the head is still too big for a ryukin and the hump is too small. It is not yet a decent ryukin.
Its sibling is varied. The dominant outcome is the telescope eyes. This is understandable, since my panda oranda actually already had the genetics of panda moor. Very few have both telescope eyes and headgrowth. The rest of the offspring do not have telescope eyes nor headgrowth, some without hump, some with a small hump. I guess the hump characteristics comes from the moor, which we know is closely related to demekin.
At first, I did not know what to do with this piece, except to sell it. I was concentrating on panda side view ranchu and panda oranda. I did not think I have the appetite to create panda ryukin. However, this piece has a strong color. It has been three months and the pattern stays. While some other have a fading black color, this one does not. I continually marvel at its pattern, and am unwilling to sell it. The notion of creating panda ryukin keeps on coming to my mind. It should be an easy project to create panda ryukin from this piece. This is a gift from heaven. Why don’t I take the chance? I continually feel the urge whenever I see her mating in the morning. Yes, this one is a very productive female. So, I am glad that at last I have a free capacity to allocate to this project.
I crossed this piece with a long tail ryukin that I bought from China. The offspring are two cm long right now. Based on my experience with panda coloration, I know that this batch will be a transition fish. There will not be a single panda color exists in F1. The aim is to create a decent ryukin shape in this F1. The panda ryukin will show up in the F2, as a result of F1 x F1. So I do not need to make the cross between this mother with ryukin anymore. One time cross is enough. And I do not need many offspring. Just a male and a female will be enough. So I cull out this batch strictly every day to reduce the quantity of the fish. I even cull out the flat tail and those who take longer to show the split tail. I keep 24 of them right now, and am still thinking of a way to reduce them again. I might consider to sell this mother since I have no use of her anymore. Who knows someone else will want to do the same project.
The next update will be in a few months, to see whether this project yields a decent ryukin body or not. We must wait for six to nine months to see the real panda ryukin from this project. Hopefully things will work as planned.